Earlier this week, in a statement from Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and approved by Pope Francis, the Vatican denied the possibility of the Church and Priests blessing same-sex couples. We were deeply disappointed by this statement and the harm it will do to LGBTIQ Catholics, noting that so many Catholics already support and affirm the relationships of LGBTIQ people in their lives. You can read our full response to the CDF Responsum here available in English, Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, and Chinese.
Since then, reporters and journalists from across the globe have reached out to GNRC members, asking for our thoughts and comments. We want to ensure that the voice and experiences of LGBTIQ Catholics is heard. Check out the list below to hear from GNRC officials respond to the Vatican’s statement:
Global News react to our response to the CDF Responsum
- Malta Today (Malta): Vatican burying head in sand, say gay Catholics over same-sex blessings
- ABC News (USA): Same-sex union blessings ban upsets gay Catholics in Asia
- The Tablet (UK): German bishops ‘not happy’ with same-sex blessing rule
Our regional members send a response to the CDF Responsum
Several GNRC members and allies have also released their own statements on this issue, including to date:
- Asia Pacific: Rainbow Catholics Ph (Philippines),
- Europe: Quest LGBTI (UK), LGBT Catholics Westminster (UK), We Are The Church Ireland (Ireland), Communauté de Christ Libérateur (Belgium), Cammini di Speranza (Italy), Progetto Gionata 3VolteGenitori Network (Italy), David et Jonathan (France), Caminhar na Diversidade (Portugal), SIGNUM – Dúhoví Krest´ania (Slovakia), Crismhom (Spain), Ichthys Sevilla (Spain), Dutch Gay Catholic Pastors WKHP (Netherlands).
- Latin America: Rede Nacional de Grupos Católicos LGBT (Brazil), Padis+ Chile (Chile), Red Arcoíris México (México).
- North America: DignityUSA (USA), New Ways Ministry (USA), Fortunate Families (USA),