Earlier this week, in a statement from Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and approved by Pope Francis, the Vatican denied the possibility of the Church and Priests blessing same-sex couples.
We were deeply disapointed by this statement and the harm it will do to LGBTIQ Catholics, noting that so many Catholics already support and affirm the relationships of LGBTIQ people in their lives. You can read our full response here available in English, Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese and Chinese.
Since then, reporters and journalists from across the globe have reached out to GNRC members, asking for our thoughts and comments. We want to ensure that the voice and experiences of LGBTIQ Catholics is heard. Check out the list below to read from GNRC officials respond to the Vatican’s statement:
- Malta Today (Malta): Vatican burying head in sand, say gay Catholics over same-sex blessings
- ABC News (USA): Same-sex union blessings ban upsets gay Catholics in Asia
- The Tablet (UK): German bishops ‘not happy’ with same-sex blessing rule
- Irish Times (Ireland): Vatican’s ethical contortions to avoid same-sex blessings ‘pitiful’
- NCR Online (USA): Vatican’s gay blessing ban stokes fear among African LGBT Catholics
Press Releases by Region
Several GNRC members and allies have also released their own statements on this issue, including to date:
- “Statement of Rainbow Catholics Philippines on the Responsum ad dubium of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith” by Rainbow Catholics Ph (Philippines),
- “Quest’s Response to the CDF statement on ‘the blessing of the unions of persons of the same sex’” by Quest LGBTI (UK),
- “A statement from the Chairperson – LGBT+ Catholics Westminster Pastoral Council” by LGBT Catholics Westminster (UK),
- “Spiritual Abuse of LGBTQ+ Catholics” by We Are The Church Ireland (Ireland),
- “Letter to the Belgian Bishops from the Community of Christ the Liberator, a Christian group of gays and lesbians” by Communauté de Christ Libérateur (Belgium),
- “Benedizioni per le coppie omosessuali: la nostra lettera” by Cammini di Speranza (Italy),
- “´Out of love for the truth that resides in our hearts´ Open letter to Pope Francis from Catholic parents of LGBT children Italian” by Progetto Gionata 3VolteGenitori Network (Italy),
- “Loin des yeux, loin du cœur?” by David et Jonathan (France),
- “Tomada de Posição da CADIV Sobre a Resposta da CDF al Quesito Sobre as BÊbçãos de Uniões do Mesmo Sexo” by Caminhar na Diversidade (Portugal),
- SIGNUM – Dúhoví Krest´ania (Slovakia),
- “Comunicad a Propósito del Responsum de la CDF” by Crismhom (Spain)
- “Reflexión acerca del Documento Responsum” by Ichthys Sevilla (Spain),
- “Oproep om Vaticaans ‘nee’ te negeren” by Dutch Gay Catholic Pastors WKHP (Netherlands).
- “Same-sex blessings and the CDF – How to Recognise a Tantrum” by James Alison (UK)
- “Nota sobre declarações da Congregação para a Doutrina da Fé” by Rede Nacional de Grupos Católicos LGBT (Brazil)
- “Padis+ Responde al NO del Vaticano” by Padis+ Chile (Chile)
- “Rueguen Por Los Que Les Persiguen” by Red Arcoíris México (México).